In 1890, the Rockdale Riding Park was built off of Lynn Street in South Peabody by Abbott and Reynolds. The stables could hold up to 40 horses. The first race was June 17, 1890.
In 1899, the Park was sold to Daniel Brown. The track’s major annual race took place on Memorial Day. At its peak, there were 3 races, attended by thousands of spectators.
Beyond racing, one of the most popular events at Rockdale was the Firemen’s Muster. Peabody was represented by the Union Vets and Torrents.
In 1940, the Park was sold for housing developments and St. Ann’s Catholic Parish.
Linnehan, John William and Edward Everett Cogswell. The Driving Clubs of Greater Boston, 1914, pages c – ci.
Wells, John. The Peabody Story, 1972, 358-359.