Graduation season is upon us, so let’s take a look at the many lives of Peabody High School.
Opened in 1850, the first Peabody High School was a small one-story building, once used as a chapel in the rear of the Unitarian Church on Park Street. It held 43 students.
Now, over 170 years later, Peabody High School has relocated four times, grown to three stories and educates up to 2,000 students a year.
First Peabody High School
Unitarian Church, Park Street, Now Condominiums
Second Peabody High School
Now Veterans of Foreign Wars Post, Stevens Street
Graduation Program for the Peabody High School Class of 1869;
In 1868, the town adopted the name Peabody.
Per article, “the singing was much better” at this ceremony as opposed to the last couple of years. Quite the commentary!
Third Peabody High School is now Peabody Housing Authority, Central Street
Fourth Peabody High School
is now the Higgins Middle School, Perkins Street
Fifth High School
Peabody Veterans’ Memorial High School, Feery Road